Exchange of driving licence

If you would like to exchange your driving licence to Danish driving licence in Alborg then you have come to the right place – Ascot driving school is specialized in this field.


Get a Danish EU-driving licence.

If you have a license from either an EU country or Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein, you can use it in Denmark. You can choose to exchange it for a Danish EU-driving licence without going to the driving test if you are resident in Denmark.

The licence can also be exchanged for a Danish licence without a driving test, if it is issued in Australia Capitol Territory, Brazil, Japan, Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), the Republic of Korea (South Korea), Russia, Switzerland and Ukraine, but you must bring a medical certificate issued of your own doctor.

Other foreign driving licence can only be exchanged after taking a driving test.

Where do you get the license?

You should contact ”borgerservice” center at one of municipalities to exchange your foreign driving licence for a Danish driving licence.

You must bring with you:

  • a medical certificate issued by your own doctor
  • a photograph
  • your driving licence
  • a valid passport. 

If you are not Danish or Nordic citizen, you must bring a valid residence permit (or residence proof if you are an EU citizen).

Borgerservice center may also require a translation of your driving licence. The translation must be issued by a translator or a translator approved by the National Police.

If you do not have a valid passport, you must bring your original birth certificate and photo ID.

Foreigners in Denmark

If you are a foreigner with temporary residence in Denmark, you can use an international driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence. If you do not have it, you can obtain a tourist licence from the police.

Do you need
more information?